I've done a decent amount of research on false lashes, eyelash extensions, and lash perms...and I'd have to say that lash perms are my favourite for the everyday type deal. I've tried each of them and like them all, but some are better for certain occasions than others. Here are my pros, cons & recommendations for each!
>> [Application: 3-10 minutes] The ones you glue on directly above your lash line. These would be most appropriate for clubbing, nights out and photoshoots. You can buy them as individual or small clumps of lashes, half lashes or full lashes...and in a billion different styles! I'm not really down with wearing dramatic falsies during the day, but when worn at night, I think they look absolutely gorgeous!
- You can change how dramatic you'd like them for each occasion
- Several different styles, colours, etc
- If you don't put them on right, or without enough glue, they may fall off or look silly
- Some can be quite heavy on your eye
- Shu Uemura - $20+ - lots of gorgeous styles, great quality lashes and their glue is really awesome
- Dai So ($2 store in Richmond) - $2 - large selection and for $2, how could you go wrong?
- Make Up Forever - ~$16 - decent size selection and some very dramatic styles like Shu Uemura
>> [Application: 1 hour] Where individual lashes are attached to your natural lashes. You can choose how dramatic, how long and how curved you'd like them to be. They usually last for about a month and they fall out gradually. I prefer to get 12-13mm long lashes and have them quite curved (don't know the measurement) so that they aren't drooping like blinds over my eyes. Extensions are best when you have a lot of events to go to (ie: during the holidays or around a friend's wedding when there are bridal showers, stagettes and the wedding itself) or whenever you know that they won't get in the way. You have to be quite careful with them to make them last; no eye rubbing or touching them w/ anything oily. Still, I think it's totally worth it when worn for the right occasion.
- Long, curled lashes 24/7
- No mascara or eyelash curler needed
- Your eyes still look dramatic w/o eyeliner
- You have to be extra careful when wearing extensions (but this doesn't necessarily have to be a con if you don't make it one)
- Depending on how long you make them, it can get in the way of sunglasses or prescription glasses
- Noir Lash Lounge - $65 flat rate - friendly service, gorgeous store in Yaletown and they do an amazing job
- Amy's Nail Design (no website) - $45 flat rate - more affordable but to be honest, I wasn't as happy w/ the results as I was with Noir's
>> [Application: 1 hour] Using a fragile enough chemical, your lashes are permed to a desired curl. You can give them a natural curl or a more dramatic one! I went with in between last time, and dramatic this time...I was much more pleased with the more dramatic look. The perm lasts for about 4-6 weeks and I use Double Lash and Rapid Lash to keep them healthy & growing!
- Don't need to curl everyday, which could damage your lashes over time
- Still able to purchase mascara & use it (I love buying new mascara on a regular basis!)
- Lashes stay curled, instead of straightening throughout the day
- If you don't go somewhere you trust, chemicals could hurt your eyes
- Kaori @ Annex FK Beauty Group - $30 - only place I've tried but I trust her because she's an authentic Japanese lady (which often means they are perfectionists and know what they're doing w/ the lashes), extremely sweet, cheaper than many other places and conveniently located Downtown